- Recurrent miscarriages are emotionally & physically stressful & draining. There are many causes of recurrent miscarriage. Your GP or specialist can help to uncover if there is a structural abnormality of the uterus, genetic, coagulation or immune problem. How can a Naturopath help? I look at lifestyle, diet, emotional and hormonal factors that can be impacting negatively on fertility. A job that has a person exposed to toxins or chemicals can affect sperm count, morphology & motility. Stress can lower progesterone which is vital for implantation of the fertilized embryo. Progesterone is made in the ovaries and adrenal glands so it’s vital to support the nervous system and adrenal glands if progesterone is low.
- Blocked fallopian tubes – Herbs can help to lower inflammation, slow down or stop the growth of endometrial tissue that is out of place (Endometriosis), & assist the fertilized embryo to travel through the fallopian tubes.
- Anovulation (when ovulation does not occur) – There are many causes of anovulation. Insulin Resistance, Obesity, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), low body fat, extreme exercise or stress, perimenopause & Thyroid dysfunction are causes that I see & treat regularly.
- MTHFR gene mutation. Having a MTHFR gene mutation makes it difficult for your body to absorb Folic acid. High folate levels may show on a blood test, you might think that this is good but it can mean that your intracellular folate levels are low because it cannot be absorbed. Its best to see a Naturopath with your MTHFR Blood test results to discuss if Folinic acid or Methyl Folate is best for you.
- Hormone Imbalance – Too low or high Estrogen impacts on fertility. High Estrogen suppresses progesterone. Estrogen can be high because it may build up in the body from xeno-estrogen exposure (medications, hair & beauty products, tap water, plastics, animal product consumption – meat & dairy), or the liver &/or bowel not being able to clear estrogen fast enough so it re-circulates through the body. Estrogen is needed to thicken the lining of the uterus so that the fertilized egg can implant so low estrogen impacts negatively on fertility as well.’
- Magnesium deficiency. Magnesium can help to prevent spasms in the fallopian tubes that prevent implantation of a fertilized egg. Taking a well absorbed Magnesium (Citrate form) is important. Many people take Magnesium (oxide) but this isn’t well absorbed, so its best to see a Naturopath to get you the best quality supplements.
- Hyperthyroid or Hypothyroid – An increased risk of not ovulating, miscarriage, preeclampsia, premature and still birth. Thyroid dysfunction can occur for years before abnormal test results occur so taking a detailed case history, paying attention to thyroid under/over functioning symptoms is important.
- Obesity. Visceral fat is deep intra-abdominal fat. Not only does it put pressure on major organs, it secretes pro-inflammatory substances that disrupt hormones which regulate fertility, appetite, weight, & brain function. Loosing weight is vital for optimizing fertility.
- A menstrual cycle that is too short (less than 24 days), infrequent (not monthly, irregular) or absent. Naturopathy can address hormone imbalance or other factors (thyroid imbalance, low cholesterol, stress/ adrenal gland dysfunction, liver support, emotional causes).
- Autoimmune condition – Having an autoimmune condition such as Graves Disease, Hashimoto, Celiac, Type 1 diabetes, Lupus can cause the immune system to go into overdrive attacking sperm & or the fertilized embryo. Diet and lifestyle changes & personalized herb mixes & nutritional supplementation can help support the immune system and better overall health.
- Hostile Cervical Mucous – Cervical mucous can be too thick for the sperm to penetrate, or it can be too acidic, there may be inflammatory cells or anti-sperm antibodies. Naturopathy can help to support & balance the immune system, alkalize the body, thin cervical mucous and lower inflammation.
Call 8361 9150 to book in to me (Biljana) for an Initial Consultation.
Health rebates available for the consultation only.